We all know that “real” frosting is not considered healthy, no matter which way you try to spin it. Especially if you are going for an icing that holds up in warmer temperatures, the whole whipped coconut cream (recipe coming soon!) just isn’t going to fly. However, if made using the right ingredients, frosting really can be a decadent treat that you can enjoy without feeling totally guilty. Especially when swirled on top of my recipe for The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins!
The secret for this frostings success? Soy milk powder (not to be confused with soy flour). Soy milk powder adds unparelled creaminess while still allowing the frosting to remain firm.
And want to know another secret? I used my JAB It Up Super Powder in Berry Powerful to give the frosting its pretty pink color. No artificial colors needed here!
Now for the recipe:
THE BEST BUTTER-LESS CREAM FROSTING
- 2 cups Organic Powdered Sugar [you could also use a Stevia baking blend if you are trying to go completely sugar-free (Use code BLG1216 for an additional 15% OFF your Entire order)]
- ¼ cup Water (to play with the firmness of this frosting, simply add or subtract 1 Tb. of water)
- 2 Tbs. Organic Soy Milk Powder
- 1 cup Vegan Shortening or Vegan Butter (I used Nutiva’s Organic Shortening)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Beat the Vegan Butter, Salt and Vanilla Extract in a stand-up mixer, until light and creamy (approximately 3-5 minutes).
- In a small bowl, whisk the water and Soy Milk Powder together until thoroughly blended. Mix in 1-2 Tbs. of JAB It Up’s Super Powder for a pretty pink color. (This will also add a deliciously light berry taste – and more powder for a stronger berry flavor – and some extra protein, fiber, and antioxidants too!)
- Add the Soy Milk mixture to the creamed butter and beat for 30 seconds longer.
- Now begin to add the Powdered Sugar, a ½ cup at a time, to avoid a powdered sugar catastrophe.
- Once the sugar is thoroughly mixed and the frosting is at a desired consistency, frost away!**
Store the frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Make sure the frosting is at or near room temperature for optimum frost-ability.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of The Best Butter-less Cream Frosting [you’ve ever had], or enough for about one layer of a 9-inch diameter cake.
*I bought all of my ingredients through Vitacost.com (where you can receive $10 off your first $30 purchase). Most items are also available at your local Whole Foods, Central Market, or specialty retailer.
**How did I get the frosting to look so “professional”? I simply cut a hole in the bottom corner of a piping bag (although a Ziploc bag will work just as well), and placed a metal frosting tip at the bottom. I then squeezed the frosting down, as I moved the bag in a circular motion, and there you have it!