I’ve been on quite the cornbread kick lately! Maybe it’s the fact that baking is soothing to me, or the pastel yellows remind me of spring, or perhaps I just need some carbs in my life… Haha. Either way, this Corn-Studded Healthy Cornbread definitely hits the spot – every time – especially with a drizzle of local honey or some high-fiber Maple Maca Syrup (find the recipe, HERE: https://bit.ly/HomemadeSyrupRecipe).
Oh, and did I mention it’s gluten-free and dairy-free too? Well it is! And it can also be made vegan – although no one will ever guess, so shhhhh!
Corn-Studded Healthy Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup Organic Cornmeal
- 1 cup Gluten-free Flour
- 1/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Xylitol (or whatever type of sugar you prefer)
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 egg, beaten or 1 flax “egg” (mix 1 tbsp. ground flax with 2-3 tbs. water [per egg replaced])
- ¼ cup Flaxseed Meal
- ½ cup Dairy-free Yogurt
- ¼ cup Non-Dairy Milk (you may need a little more depending on consistency)
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter or Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Organic Corn Kernels
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish.
2. Mix Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Powder & Soda, Sugar, and salt in a bowl. Sift 3 times. This step really does make it light and airy – so I wouldn’t skip it!
3. Stir the Egg, Flaxseed, Yogurt and Milk in and separate bowl. Combine with the Cornmeal Mixture.
4. Place the Butter in your baking dish, and melt in the preheated oven. Once melted, pour the hot, melted butter into the cornmeal mixture and mix so everything is thoroughly combined.
5. Gently stir in the Corn Kernels.
6. Transfer the cornmeal mixture to the prepared baking dish.
7. Bake on the center rack in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the edges of the cornbread pull away from the sides of the dish, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Leave a Reply