In an increasingly electronic world, technology has drastically changed the means by which people gather information and communicate with each other; a trend most noticeable in the field of online counseling.
Understanding Online Counseling
There are various definitions of online counseling which suggests that this method of treatment can take many forms. One suggestion is “the practice of professional counseling that occurs when the counselor and the patient are in separate locations and utilize electronic devices to connect with each other”.
Why is Online Counseling Becoming Popular?
Choosing to take help from a traditional therapist can often be tough, especially because the time you seek consultation is usually when you are not feeling at your best.
This particular method of treatment may also be a constructive and therapeutic modality for those persons who have social phobia. Economically also, online therapy services are much more affordable than regular in-person sessions.
The anonymity of online counseling makes the client invisible and can help individuals lessen or even eliminate the stigma attached with seeking mental health treatment, or people with issues of shame and more importantly for those persons who are scared of being judged.
Online Therapy Resources for the New Mother
Being a new mother is a full time job but being a working parent adds to the responsibility. While the experience may be life changing, it comes with its fair share of duties as you strive hard to maintain the perfect home-office relationship to deliver the best for your newborn. It is okay to ask for help as there are different types of therapy moms can avail of:
- Counseling: This is one good way of helping manage the challenges associated with motherhood. By getting engaged in the therapy process, moms come back calmer and clear-minded and be truly present in front of the child.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT: In CBT mothers are able to recognize thoughts that are causing them anxiety and distress. This treatment shows how to change these thought patterns and decrease emotional response to provide the help one needs.
- Mental health apps: A mental health platform can help connect the mother with a therapist who specializes in parenting and is skilled to address all issues. Clients can work along with the therapist to achieve the long-term goals of becoming a supportive mother.
- Talk therapy: This is an excellent tool for new and busy mom’s as it encourages an honest dialogue about mental health issues by way of a relationship with a therapist. The technique is useful for couples and family therapy as well.
- Individual therapy: By using individual therapy you get a safe environment to explore your thoughts, feelings and concerns with a therapist, which is further fostered through talk therapy. Unlike group therapy, individual therapy focuses solely on you to make the necessary changes to improve the quality of life.
- Family therapy: Working mothers often face hurdles in family life that they find too difficult to conquer on their own. According to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy a therapist can help address relationship issues within the context of the family system.
- Couples therapy: Couples counseling is the most effective way of keeping a marriage on track before it derails. Some common benefits which have been observed are restoring lost trust, restoring intimacy and forming a stronger bond.
- Meditation: This simple no-cost relaxation practice is a boon for frazzled moms. Meditation helps to calm and quiet the mind by training you to let go of your mental clutter. Research has shown that meditation lets you handle your emotions better and be more present and attentive in front of your kids.
- Mood tracking apps: Studies have shown that being in a good frame of mind has a good bunch of positive effects like enhancing hormonal, cardiovascular and immune functions. There are many mood tracking apps. The best ones are those which push you a bit deeper asking what makes you angry or leads to nonchalance.
Online psychotherapy makes it easy to consult a psychiatrist while also taking care of the newborn from the comfort of your home.